Founded in 1951 – Originally known as the Cedewain Gleemen, it presently numbers some 45 choristers drawn from all walks of life, some from Newtown itself, but mostly from the surrounding communities
To better describe the origins of the membership, in 1966 the name and format was changed, and the choir was re-constituted as the Newtown and District Male Voice Choir. One of the choirs main aims is to support local charities, and throughout its’ 56 years existence has willingly done this with so many churches, chapels and charitable organisations benefiting from its services.
Over the past few years the choir has performed on a number of occasions at the Royal Albert Hall, London, at the Festival of Remembrance Concerts in St. David’s Hall, Cardiff, and at the Pavilion, Rhyl, as well as numerous concerts and eisteddfodau in Mid Wales, Shropshire and further afield.
In the 1970’s they enjoyed an exchange visits with a choir from Schinveld, Holland, and in the eighties similar visits with the High Wycombe Orpheus Male Voice Choir, many members still keeping in touch with friends made through these exchanges.
In December 2001 the choir celebrated their 50 years with a Celebration Concert with the Three Welsh Tenors as guest artistes. The concert attracted nearly 800 people and will be remembered by the choristers for a long time.
In April 2003 the choir was privileged to travel to Newtown’s twinned town of Les Herbiers in France, where a series of performances were undertaken. Perhaps the most memorable of these was an impromptu concert in the church at Mont Saint Michelle. Watched by coach loads of tourists from all over Europe the choir sang a number of songs from their repertoire unaccompanied.
The choir is fully dedicated to the encouragement of young singers and musicians in our area, and is actively engaged in providing platform time and the opportunity for youngsters to appear as soloists at selected concerts.